Monday 27 December 2010

family photos

my granny has lent me some her old photos of when my mum and granny and grandad lived in texas for a few years in the sixties. there are all on slides for a stereo viewer, which has two little images on film which you then place in the viewer and look through and it creates really beautiful 3D image. it's so annoying that i dont have a negative scanner to get the real quality of the images onto here; the only way i could do anything near it was to take a picture on photobooth looking through the viewer. they literally look one perecent good in comparison to looking at the real thing. but here are some of them anyway:
 grandad sketching

mum on rodeo day in her cowgirl outfit

 kids from her school

 their car

 driving

 my mum in the coloured skirt at a flea market

 my mum

 grandad in his uniform

 rodeo

 marching band at a football game

my granny

 a dog show

 my mum

 my mum in the blue and her best friend mary-jo

the almighty stereo viewer.

it was really interesting to look through the photos as my grandad had written in a journal what each photo contained, and it was interesting to hear his take on it. the main reason for taking the photos was so that when he went back to england he could show his parents how different america was. one thing in particular which baffled him was how they had clumps of shops with flowers and such as a shopping mall. the photos taken were real documentary photos like just being on the road driving through town and of parades; it was nice that they weren't staged and were so sympathetic to the subject.

1 comment: